Tag: joshua wilder

Watch Video: Deontay Wilder ‘accepts the challenge’ to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK.....

Deontay Wilder is ready to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK this summer to decide the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, according to his co-manager.... Joshua was quick to call out Wilder after defeating Joseph Parker on Saturday to add the WBO title to his own IBF and WBA belts. Wilder’s co-manager, Shelly Finkel, has responded to the challenge, saying the American fighter’s team are prepared to begin immediate negotiations over a unification contest. “We are really glad that Anthony Joshua said for the first time: ‘I will fight Deontay next...’ and we believe he is a man of his word. Deontay accepts the challenge,” Finkel told the Telegraph. “We want to make it public that Deontay wants the fight, and we are prepared to come over, or meet here and get the deal done. Deontay is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer.” Only the WBC champion Wilder, who is undefeated in 40 contests, stands in the way of the Briton unifying all the division’s belts for the first time in history. Finkel, who co-manages Wilder with Al Haymon, said he will contact Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, this week. Hearn said on Sunday morning that there was a small window of opportunity before Joshua must defend three other belts against mandatory challengers. Finkel, who has the authority to get the contest signed from the Wilder side, responded: “We’re ready. Let’s do it. Unification fights always trump mandatories. “A unification between Wilder and Joshua would push the mandatories back. “Assuming it will be Wembley Stadium in the summer, we are ready, and if they are ready as they say they are, we want to get it done. We want the fight, they want the fight, the public wants the fight. There is nothing to stop it going ahead.”  

Read More

Deontay Wilder to fight Bermane Stiverne Nov. 4 after WBC withdraws sanction for Luis Ortiz bout....

Deontay Wilder will defend his World Boxing Council heavyweight championship Nov. 4 in New York against Bermane Stiverne, it was announced Wednesday.... Stiverne is a replacement for Luis Ortiz, who was forced to drop out after he failed a drug test and forced the WBC to remove its sanction of the fight. Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 knockouts) had been scheduled to fight on the Wilder-Ortiz undercard next month at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Wilder, the 31-year-old Tuscaloosa native, won his heavyweight title by beating Stiverne in a 12-round unanimous decision on Jan. 17, 2015 in Las Vegas. It was the only career non-knockout for Wilder, who is 38-0 with 37 KOs. Ortiz, a 38-year-old Cuban, was found to have used chlorothiazide and hydrochlorothiazide, both banned substances that are often used to mask performance-enhancing drug use. He is 27-0 with 23 knockouts in his career. Wilder last fought Feb. 25, when he retained his WBC belt with a fifth-round TKO of Gerald Washington in Birmingham. Stiverne is rated the No. 1 title contender by the WBC, but had delayed his mandatory bout with Wilder for a fee so that Wilder could fight Ortiz first.

Read More